My Journey One Step at a Time.

Monday, September 20, 2010

Cedar Canyon Half Marathon

As I was getting ready to leave for the park to catch the shuttle at 5:30 in the morning, I forgot to grab my camera that I had laid out next to all my other clothes. I didn't notice this till I was half way up Cedar Canyon.... I at least had my phone, but unfortunately, this is the only pic that I got from it..... SO needless to say.... This is the only Picture I have from the Cedar Canyon Half Marathon.

On Friday night, I meet up with Dan and Janie Earl, and Tige Hazelton for the free Pizza Factory pasta and bread sticks.... It was so yummy and a good way to carb load before the race. It was fun to hang out with these guys. My family had to stay home due to soccer games, so I was running this one all by myself....
We meet at the park at 6am to catch the shuttle up to woods ranch. It was nice and cool at the main st park. I was so thankful that I had packed a long sleeve shirt and sweatshirt... When we hit woods ranch it was a blistering 40's and cold. It was cold..... Thanks goodness there were fire pits and fire in them..... AT 0700 we were off to RUN THE CANYON.... When I prepared for Disneyland, I ran mostly flat courses, well Cedar canyon has a 1-8% downhill grade in the first 7 or so miles.... I ran really well while trying to watch my speed coming off those hills. I was pacing about a 9-10 min mile most of the way. When the course started to flatten out, I could feel the pain in my Quads. I had started to brew a nice hug blister on my right foot. The next 5 miles, I had more of a run/walk style in it... I held my own well till mile 12, where we exited Canyon park and started to run the foothills of Cedar city. I was worn out, hurting and sore from the blister. The temp was in the high 70's and boy did it feel HOT.... Thank goodness i made the last 1.1 miles and made it across the finish at 2:48:01. I shaved 10 min off my first half marathon, but was on pace for a 2:30 if i hadn't had all the troubles in the last few miles.... Overall I had a blast... It was such an awesome run. I have now ran 2 Half Marathons in 13 days. I wonder if that is as close as I am going to be to running 26.2 miles...... Good times. Now time for recover since I cant walk...... :)

1 comment:

  1. Ouch. Those downhills make for good times but definitely give the quads a pounding. Improving your PR by 10 minutes is huge! Hmmmmm, maybe 26.2 is around your corner???

    ReplyDelete