My Journey One Step at a Time.

Friday, January 28, 2011

St George Half Marathon and 5K

Before the race, we meet up with the gang. Cory and Melanie Reese, Alex and Cherie Santiago, Shane and Kerri Nielson and Melissa and I. What a good looking group.

The rest of the gang before the start of the race.
I was a little disappointed with the weekend. Over the past four months, I have been running with and treating my planter fasciitis. On Mon, less than a week before the St George Half Marathon, I went out to complete my long run of 8 miles. I was sore like i have normally been sore following a long run, but nothing more. later that day I started to tighten up, still thought nothing of it. I had taken my sleeping pill that night and was off in LA LA LAND, when I was woken out of my sleep by a KILLER pain. I have never hurt that bad in my whole entire life. I was dying. My left foot was literally curled up in a ball, and i was thrashing in pain. I woke Melissa up and asked her if i could have a saw to cut my foot off.... She was worried, especially knowing that I had my Ambien on board, if I was really going to follow through. Needless to say I didn't sleep that much the remainder of the night, and nothing from ice, heat or Ibuprofen could help out. On Thursday, just days before the race, I went and saw the Podiatrist, who is an avid runner, to have my foot checked out. I told him how i have fought through my races and what the other Doc had told me to do, and that was to keep stretching it and to keep running. He skipped the Xray and went straight to the Ultrasound. Needless to say, my planter fascia was almost triple the size it should be. He wanted to inject it again with cortisone. I had a shot in late OCT, it hurt but it was nothing like this one. The Doc ultrasound guided the needle deep into my inflamed Fascia and injected several locations. I think that the shot hurt worse than my foot did on Monday night. I was literally coming off the bed. Following the shot, I was placed in an air cast wrap for my heel. I was told that I COULD NOT run the Half Marathon, but was given the green light to run the 5k if i felt up to it. OF course I wanted to run and Melissa was going to be running the5k, her second ever. Come Race day, I really had the urge to just run the half, but wasn't willing to put myself in a position to where I would injure myself any worse that I already was, so the 5k it was. After meeting up with some of the coolest people ever, we was off. Melissa and I had discuss that we didn't care about our time but that we just wanted to go out and keep it nice and easy for me and my foot. We had a pretty sweet run with no pain, or issues. At this point I was loving the shot. The first time my foot didn't hurt during a run in month. It was awesome. In keeping to a nice and easy pace, we crossed the finish line just under 39 minutes. I felt awesome. The hardest part is by feeling so good and seeing all the half marathoners out on the course really made me crave to be out there with them. I'm sure 10 more miles would have probably done me in. So overall great races with my own disappointments.
I go back to see the doc again on Feb 1st to see how my foot has responded to the injection. He gave me a good chance that I will end up in a walking boot after needle decopression of the fascia. I am hoping for the easy route to keep running. All I want to do is run. Well, I guess I am limbo till Tuesday. Untill then. :}

1 comment:

  1. Good luck at the appointment. I'm impressed you were even able to do the 5k with that much of an injury. You are hard-core!

    ReplyDelete