One of the nicest things about this years Bryce Canyon Half Marathon was the weather. It was AWESOME. highs in the 70's and lows in the 40"s. It was Freezing cold to start the race, but as we all know, RUNNERS ARE INSANE, and We LOVED the weather. Here is the start of the race with Micah and Michelle Peterson. We had a hard time finding all of our friends.
The start of the race leaving Ruby's Inn. It is fun to see all the runners.
I think that Cory Reese is one the funniest and coolest people I know. I have had so much fun running with him and his wife Melanie. Reading his blog is a highlight of my day. I urge you to check him out and see not only how awesome he is as a runner, blogger, photographer but also how entertaining he is. Check him out at http://www.fastcory.blogspot.com/ . I have used some of his pics from the race. This one is one the coolest shots of this run.
One thing you just have to know about Cory, is his love for a running JUMP shot. Here is Melanie and I attempting a running jump. YUP I'm a little late on this one. Not surprised considering how I was feeling during this run.
I should say this was a failed jumping pic, but Instead here we are goofing off on the run. I think that it is a pretty sweet pic.
Bryce Canyon Half Marathon made for my 15Th half marathon. I have to say it was also my HARDEST.... Over the summer, ever since Ogden Half Marathon in May, I have been fighting a nagging Left IT Band injury. I have been fighting it ever since. I do my daily dose of stretching, foam rolling, massage, cycling etc.... to help alleviate it as much as possible. On race day, I use KT tape, wear a brace and use leg compression sleeve to help out in any way possible. I knew going into Bryce that I was IN FOR SOME PAIN. having IT Band pain and adding 2400 feet net elevation loss in 13.1 miles =NIGHTMARE.... Believe it or not I felt really good till about mile 7, then my legs just started to tighten up. Of course my IT Band was acting up, but it was my Quads and Calf's that wrenched right on down. I Never cramped, but I was tighter than I have ever been. My Right Knee by Mile 9 started to kill. The last 3.8 miles was my hardest ever.
Thankfully for me, I had Cory and Melanie Reese by my side. Cory was a CHAMP and stayed by my side for the remainder 3.8 miles. I had to fight through so much pain and tightness in my legs to keep placing one foot in front of another. Cory was so gracious, when I ran, he ran, and when I couldn't he was giving me motivation to work myself to the end and hopefully a PR( personal record). Here is a pic of Melanie and I coming over the top of the finial hill before we reach the end. If it wasn't for Cory, I would have really struggled through this race.
Of course I had to finish with a good time. It is so hard sometimes to push yourself when you have nothing left in the tank, but I gave it my all. I rounded the corner to the finish and was welcomed by Melanie, who had finished just one minute ahead of me, with Cory at my side,and all my kids. Kyler tried to give me a Hug and I had no control and ran him right over. Sorry Bud.... I just wanted to finish. I crossed the line at 2:41:01 I had a NEW PR...... It wasn't pretty, but I did it. Thank you Cory for pushing me. You are the man.... Thanks....

We got to do this race with you two more times after this. It became a tradition. And we had a BLAST each time. Miss ya bud.
ReplyDelete