My Journey One Step at a Time.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Snow Canyon Half Marathon

Leading up to the Snow Canyon Half Marathon, I had already made up my mind that I wasn't going to be running. I have been fighting a very common running injury that has made it very hard and painful to run. Plantar Fasciitis isn't something I would wish on anyone. I Had been to my Doc, and had my foot shot up. Awe what a great feeling to finally find some relief to the pain, even if it was only temporary. Training for anything has been a complete struggle. Looking back, since I ran Cedar Canyon Half Marathon in mid Sept, I have only had 17 miles of training runs with 2 5K races in there which I struggled to run. SO what in the World would ever cause me to think that I was EVEN close to being ready or prepared to run 13.1 miles. I was invited by my friend Liz Dansie to come over to Hurricane High School track on the Thursday leading up to the race to train. I was ITCHING so bad to get a run in. It is so surprising how much you crave a good run. I hadn't had that feeling in almost a month. SO off to Hurricane High I went. To my Surprise, I got to run with Many of my Friends. Cory and Melanie Reese, Liz and Tom Dansie, Cherie Santagio, Logan, Wendy and a couple others. I HAD A TOTAL BLAST, and get this, I was able to run 6 miles that night. I felt good, my foot held up, and it made me second guess myself on Snow. I do have to give total props to Cherie for giving me that extra push to run Snow. So glad I did. I got to run with many of my friends. Tricia, Josh, Karrie, Shane, Alex, Cherie and Jill. Ok off to the Race Report.


This really was a sweet course. WE had the opportunity to run 4 miles on the St George Marathon course above Diamond Valley. It was a really fast and almost all downhill course. I was surprised how good I felt as I started to race. It was one of the most Scenic races I have ever ran.

I just love Snow Canyon State Park. Had to get the camera out for some pics. This would be around mile 8. Overall I felt Great and was holding a 9:30 min/mile pace at this point.


A turn around shoot looking back towards Tuacahn. I love the Red Mountains. This is about mile 11. I ran extremely well, and was surprised at how GOOD I felt. Now I knew that my foot was hurting but it had held up well till this point. Well I don't know what happened but right at mile 11, I hit the Torture wall. The last two miles were a fight and almost unbearable. I really struggled to keep it going. My paced dropped back to a 13-14 min/mile pace. I was just hurting really bad. My foot and leg continued to cramp up the last two miles. I refused to run this far and give up. I knew that I was on pace to run a 2:30, but the last 2 miles took everything I had mentally and physically to get across the finish line.


Once we hit Snow Canyon High School, we had to run the last 0.2 miles around the track. My foot was almost curled up on itself and so crampy. I crossed @ 2:47 a NEW Personal Record by almost two minutes. Running has taught me so much about myself. I got into running to loose weight, which I am, but I believe I am a student of life and all the Life's Lessons it teaches me while I run. To believe in oneself, to push through the pain, to fight on, and to stand back up once you fall, are ALL lessons we can apply in our own lives. I want to give a huge shout out to all my friends who also set their own PR at this race. To each of you, Thank You for all your support and Friendship. I love to run, I love to race, AND I wont let anything slow me down. Off to Mesquite in two weeks, then Rock and Roll Las Vegas next month. Gotta love it, I DO!!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, great race report as usual. Quite an accomplishment considering how your foot was feeling. Bring on Mesquite!

    ReplyDelete