My Journey One Step at a Time.

Monday, February 22, 2010

My shins

So Following the race on Sat, I went to the local running store here in St George. I wanted to find out what I was doing wrong. I have a sweet pair of shoes.. I love my Asics... They are the best. I have never truly been fitted for a pair of shoes. But Lucky for me, I had the right pair. I found out that I overpronate with my high arches, thus causing more pressure and pain to my shins as the muscles pull away from the bone. Having the right pair of stability shoes, All I needed was just an insole. So I was introduced to superfeet green. Oh holy cow..... What a difference these make. I ran two miles today and I totally felt like a whole new runner. My shins are still a little tender but I ran today without any problems. I haven't iced my shins since sat. Looking forward to a whole new me....
About my training. I have added another race. On March 13Th, ST George fire is putting on a 5K... I have added this to my running schedule. Hopefully it will help me as I prepare for the 6.2 mile down hill run in Snow Canyon stake park for the Spectrum 10K. I am thinking That I am going to change my training schedule over from a 10K to the Half Marathon. I know that I am going to be wicked slow but a longer 12 week schedule might do me good, and who knows, maybe just maybe I might change Bryce canyon over from the 5k to a half marathon (its down hill to.... Just gonna roll) LOL :) anyway. Things are good. Still coming off the high of Sat five mile posting. I never dreamed that I would be in this situation, and here I am... ROCK ON!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I have used Superfeet for years and I love them too.

    Great job at the Dam To Dam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck--full blown shin splints are horrible to deal with. Keep icing so they don't get worse. You can also "tape" them or my favorite are the compression "sleeves" made for your lower legs (also found at running stores).

    This is a common injury when starting up fast so keep running but don't overdo it the next week or so. (You don't want to end up with stress fractures!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys for all the support and advice. I do love my superfeet insoles. Thanks Lydia... I will look into the compression sleeves. I wanna be injury free as much as possible. Ice and IB profen have been my new best friend. only small runs this week and cross training. Runnng long this weekend. Guess we will find out how well they hold up.

    ReplyDelete